Friday, October 19, 2012

On the diversity of human capabilities and abilities



I was walking to school in the morning today, and saw some grass cutters cutting the grasses of the botanic gardens. Grass cutters are human beings too, and they have a function to play in society by maintaining the grasses and trimming them to a suitable length. It is the case that some individuals in life find themselves employed to such task. Society requires the likes of such roles for its smooth functioning. Grasses don’t cut themselves. Rubbish do not clear by themselves. Money don’t deposit themselves in the cashier. Buses and taxis don’t drive by themselves. All these are done by human beings. Without individuals who would do these tasks, our society would be less livable than it is. I see this appointment of roles to the various tasks in society as the handiwork of God. He has created all individuals with varying gifts and abilities so that through such diversity, human societies can function and improve over the ages. It seems to me that someone must have planned out how these various traits and attributes come to be in society so that there can be a pluralism of roles in society for everyone to serve one another in their varying roles capacities. From the greatest to the least, all human beings were created with an eye to their appointment in their various roles in society. There will be the elites, the likes of those who will be called to lead the country, the intellectual class who have the insight to how society should develop and improve, the professional classes such as the doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientists. There are the technical blue collar working class such as clerks, sales personnels, factory workers. Then, there are the artisan classes such as celebrities, musicians, designers. And there is at the lowest rung of societies the low-skilled workers such as cleaners, road sweepers, grass cutters, construction workers. Now, we can readily see that society would not work if everyone were one or the other. And although it is the case that those in high roles are esteemed by the likes of those in society, yet if it were the case that all were bornt with such capabilities, how much poorer society would be. How would the machinery of society function if there were not those employed to the manual undertakings of society? If all wanted to be elite, who shall carry out the instructions that are set in place?

To each his role in life, and to do them in service of his fellow human beings in society and around the world. Elites must serve the people with the roles they have been given in their life. As much has been given to them, so much would be expected of them. And for those who have been placed in lesser position, they should accept their stakes in society and apply themselves heartfully in service to those that God has placed above them. They should not be a rebellious population against their leaders, for God has placed authority above them to rule them.

I usually worry that I am not clever enough to be in the role that I find myself in. After a rather tough first year at law school, I wonder whether I was truly meant to be in this institution. I suppose God has a plan for me, and there is a divine reason why he has placed me in law school. Now, I am not doing well in school, and I suppose it might truly be the case that I would not do well in this endeavour, but I believe that God has a plan for me even if I should do badly in school. 

If I should have to be the ‘cleaner’ of society, I suppose that God has placed me there in such a capacity to serve those around me, and I would not be bitter about the plight that I am in. It seems like I haven’t been gifted with the capabilities and talents necessary to do the job of a lawyer. My mental capability is much too primitive to give me the ability to succeed in this domain. I do not understand the readings that I am assigned to. And I would have liked to think that I could have gotten a hang of law school once I find out how, but slowly every day, I am beginning to think that I have to reckon with the notion that I am not smart enough to be in this field. When I am in church, I see the likes of individuals who are less intelligent than I am. And I know that they would not be able to do things as I am able to. And if they shall be placed in certain roles, they shall not be able to adequately fulfill what is expected of them. Now then, I shall have to acknowledge that there may be a limitation to my capabilities, and I am afraid that I am not possessing such capabilities as would allow me to function well in the field of law. 

Somehow, I feel that I would not be in this difficult position had I been more abiding in God. I have asked trouble for myself by striving out in life on my own and thinking I shall get by without God. When I studied hard in my junior college days, I left God out in my endeavours, thinking that I must not have God as a crutch because it is only by my own humanistic endeavour that I shall be able to secure good results. And I worked myself most certainly harder than many others, and exceeded what was natural for myself. Then, I did reasonably well in the A levels by securing A’s in Physics, Mathematics, Economics, and Project Work, while scoring B’s in Chemistry, General Paper, and Chinese, and a pass grade in H3 Game theory and Competition. But had I leaned upon God throughout my walk in life, and done only what was natural for myself, I would perhaps have done poorly in my academics such that I would not have been able to get into law school. And perhaps, I might be spared the difficult predicament that I am in. For by my humanistic efforts, I have built myself up to where I am, and it would then only be by my own humanistic efforts that I shall sustain this edifice. And I am afraid I don’t have any energy left to the undertaking. There is such a sharp limitation that I am in experience with, one that imposes on my mind such difficulty of comprehension of the materials that I encounter. When it comes to reading law materials, I am virtually dyslexic. I can’t piece together anything coherent in my mind.

Perhaps God was trying to tell me that the study of law is not for me when I failed to get into NUS law school when I first applied for it. Perhaps I have been rebellious in the way I responded when I initially failed to get into law school, and I must have charged God with not loving me enough to give me my wishes. And I clamour that I may be able to join the ranks of the elite. And thus, I tried once again my bid at entering law school and indeed succeed. But perhaps, I have extended myself, and place myself in a place where I was not supposed to be. And had I not been rebellious, God would have exempted me from the rut that I find myself caught up in. But I did ask God that I wish that my entering to law school be his will when I applied to get into law school the second time, and I asked that God forbids me to be accepted into law school if it truly be not his will.

I suppose I may have to reckon that I am simply not meant for this discourse in law. I have tried so hard, and am on the brink of giving up. I really wished I could have done otherwise, but if it is truly so hard for me to get a hang of law school, I suppose I will have to reckon with the possibility that perhaps this is not a field which I was supposed to be in. 

I wish I could have known that I would experience such difficulties in law studies. I would have considered doing something else. But as it is, I did not know that I would so inept at this field of studies, and have enrolled myself into it. For my mind is much too primitive to be able to be employed in this field. Now then, I shall not be in rebellion. I shall not clamour against God again. For what good will come if I shall exert myself to such measures to succeed? “Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it”. And what lies ahead would be a lifetime in a career which I might find myself unsuited for. I shall pray to God about this, and ask for his guidance in every step of my life. If it should be the case that a course in the legal fraternity is not for me, and God would have me flunk the law school examinations, let it be so. For there is a path that is planned for me, for every individual in the hands of God, and I shall not have to worry about my fate. He shall give me my “daily bread”. And whatever the case that I shall find my employment in, if it shall be the will of God, I shall gladly accept it.

No comments:

Search This Blog