Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Mercury-Based Silver Dental Amalgams - The cause for the epidemic in Aspergers/Autism?

I chanced across a section in page 380 in a book by Ken Siri titled 1001 Tips For The Parents Of Autistic Boys which advices to mothers-to-be to "safely remove mercury-based amalgam fillings with a dentist associated with the American Holistic Dental Association at least six months before becoming pregnant, and not while breastfeeding." It got me thinking as to the possible connection between mothers with silver coloured mercury-based amalgams filling in the teeth and the incidence of autism/asperger in their children. I noticed that my mum has about 3 of such silver-coloured amalgams in her teeth which she got during her University days in Australia. I wonder whether my having Asperger's Syndrome had anything to do with fetal exposure to source of mercury from these mercury-based amalgams that my mum has on her teeth.

It seems like there has been ongoing controversy about the safety of such fillings. The jury is still out as to whether there is a relation between the use of mercury-based dental fillings and the prevalence of autism-related disorders. I went to a dental clinic yesterday situated at the basement 1 level of northpoint shopping centre and asked the register what types of dental fillings are available. Apparently, the use of mercury-based silver amalgams is still allowed in Singapore.

I have sent a message to the Singapore Dental Association inquiring about the status of safety of the use of these mercury-based amalgams.

No comments:

Search This Blog