Friday, October 19, 2012

Asking God for the gifts of intelligence and wisdom; On finding a relationship



I would really like God to bless me with intelligence and wisdom such as that which he gave to Jesus, Solomon, and Daniel. There are many of such wise men in the bible, and in the schemes of the entire earth, these men would be considered the wisest amongst their kind. Now, I do see that in this day and age, there are also those who are wise, and those who are fools. And why is it the case that there is one and the other? Because God has made them so. Now, such traits belongs to the divine God. And he can give and take away as he pleases. I believe that he gives such traits to those whom he loves more. But God also gives intelligence and wisdom to those who hates or denies him. I mean, if it were the case that only those who love God would receive the gift of intelligence and wisdom, then it would be the case that the elites in society would all be Christians. As it is, we see that in society, there are very many people in high positions who are not Christians. They have a good mind, but they simply are not Christians. In law school, the dean listers are composed of both Christians and non-christians. So it is the case that God has endowed one and the other with traits of intelligence and wisdom.

Now, the traits of intelligence and wisdom is one that can be given by God, at any point of stage in an individual’s life. He might have been considered stupid and a fool for previous occasions in his life, but God would just need to say the word “Be intelligent and wise” and the person would immediately be as such as is said. I mean, I don’t think that intelligence and wisdom is a fixed and rigid trait that is determined by one’s individuality due to his genetics or his family upbringing, but I think that these traits can be given by God to anybody at any point of time in his life, and then he would be good at what he does.

Now, I know that God has given intelligence and wisdom to people around me in law school, and I see the likes of some individuals who are very much brilliant in their mental faculties. They have excellent comprehension abilities and able to think out solutions to problems, and have many other gifts of the intellect. I feel that perhaps, I may be lacking in this gift of the intellect. That is why I am doing so poorly in law school. And what I need is not just to work hard, but also to receive the gift of intellect and wisdom from God. Because without intellect and wisdom, it is difficult to accomplish good things in fields requiring intellect and wisdom.

And I certainly pray that God would grant me these gifts of the mind. And God will certainly give me these traits, wouldn’t he? After all, it is said in James 1:5 – “If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.”.

Well, I suppose the passage qualifies that the man who ask must not doubt. Honestly, I wish that God would still give the gift of wisdom and intelligence even if the man has doubt. I wish that God’s giving of the gift of intelligence and wisdom would not need to premise upon the man’s faith. For example, we may ask our parents for something that we want, and have a lingering doubt over whether they would comply to our wishes. But their giving of the things that we request for does not depend so much upon whether we believe sincerely whether they would obtain those things we have requested for. They give us good gifts simply because they love us as their children very much.

But well, God has placed this condition upon one’s prayers for wisdom. And I shall comply. And I really hope that God would give me this gift which I ask him for – the gift of intelligence and wisdom. Now, I want to say that I think that these traits are good for an individual. But they should not be placed beyond their proper position. Ultimately, we should still love God whatever the circumstances of our lives may be. If we turn out dumb and fools, we should still love God. If we have much trouble and hassles in life, we should still love God. And I think it dangerous if we desire anything to the extent that it would affect our faith in God if we do not receive the thing we ask for. We might even succumb to asking demons for such things, or place our trust on our own humanistic efforts to secure the provisions of such goods. But this is folly – to trade our salvation for temporal gifts. Even gifts of intelligence and wisdom, though being traits greatly esteemed and desired, have to be put in their proper place. For me, I shall only ask of these things from God.

I am not sure whether I am doubting here, but I would like to say that even if I do not receive these gifts, even if I should once again do badly for my law school examination for this semester, I want to love God and be a faithful Christian in my life. I want to do my very best for my law school studies. It seems to me now that life would be good for me if I do well in law school, get a good job in society, and be able to earn enough money to support myself and my parents financially. I do hope to get married as well and have children. But it would take a miracle in this aspect of my life. I have Asperger’s Syndrome, and it is already very difficult for me to find a relationship because no girls like me due to my aloof nature. It would also be very difficult if I cannot function well in a relationship or in a married life due to this condition. As such, I do not clamour for anything regarding a relationship more than what God would have me have. This is an area of life in which I cannot profess too much of my own inclination for without the blessings of God, I would not be able to do well on my own. I get by on the provisions of God in this aspect of my life. I suppose in every aspect of my life, I should also lean upon the provisions and guidance of God.

No comments:

Search This Blog