Thursday, November 1, 2012

The over-inclusiveness of Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis

I came across this article yesterday titled "Are you on it" where the author presents his views about the phenomenon with Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis in America. It affirms my sentiment somewhat that there is a liberal use of the diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome from psychologists. It seems incredible to me that the likes of many famous figures who do not display any noticeable traits of Asperger's Syndrome are suspected for it, such as the comedian Dan Akryod. When I surf youtube for videos of vloggers who have Asperger's Syndrome, I come across a number of individuals who appear either normal, or extroverted to me such as not to warrant the diagnosis.

It does cause me to wonder about the extent to which the condition of Asperger's Syndrome is a 'scientifically substantial' one. Yet I wouldn't go so far as to dismiss the diagnosis as simply a label.  For one, I don't have any other explanation for my difficulty in social interaction, and there are many symptoms from the condition which describes my experience. And there are individuals who truly display such traits of Asperger's Syndrome such as these 2 individuals from these youtube videos below.

I don't think that they can simply be deemed 'normal'. And it would not be good to do away with a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome because these people cannot be regarded as normal and their eccentricities as a deficit of personality. Asperger's Syndrome is a real condition that affects people in such a manner.

No comments:

Search This Blog