Wednesday, March 6, 2013

NTU CAC String Orchestra Performance - Prism 13



I went to watch the NTU CAC String Orchestra at the Esplanade Recital Studio this Tuesday evening.

I was invited by a friend who played in the orchestra to come watch his performance. I suppose being on leave from school allows me time to go for the performance. It’s nice to put law school on hold and take a break. It is nice for life to be carefree. I miss being carefree, that is, being able to do what I want and when I want to do it.

It was a classical music performance featuring the works of Mendelssohn and Mozart. I like classical music. It has a nice aristocratic feel to it. I think I began developing an appreciation for classical after picking up the piano when I was 18. I am not very good at the piano, and I don’t practice much these days. I like classical piano pieces from the romantic era. My favourite composers includes the likes of Frederick Chopin and Debussy.

There were quite many musical talents at the concert. There was this China Chinese student who was quite a virtuoso at the violin. And this Singapore Chinese student who gave a brilliant rendition for his solo part on the piano for a Mozart piece.

It’s nice to see a segment of life of NTU students. I don’t have much interaction with peers my age outside of law school. And being able to see other students from other faculties allow me to appreciate that life is so much more than law school. You find people of many kinds that you would not find in law school.

Watching a student music performance reminds me of my days in St Andrew’s Junior College where I was in the choir. I don’t think that it is very convenient to join the choir while I am in law school, and besides, given my struggles at law school, I ought to put in as much time as I possibly can into my law studies. But it’s nice to see students my age participating in the orchestra. They must have practiced together a lot before they gave the performance. And being in a music performing arts group is a nice forum for getting to know people and building bonds. I do wish to get to know people and to make friends, but I do struggle socially due to my having Asperger’s Syndrome. I didn’t get along much with my choir mates back when I was in SAJC. I couldn’t exactly associate with the loud, extroverted kinds. But I did manage to find a few friends who were more introverted in disposition. There are many activities and things in life in which I would avoid because I am afraid I cannot handle the social demands. And moreover, my lack of sociability does affect my ability to do well in my social environment. Even if I try to be more sociable, I am alienated by my peers. Maybe I come off as being weird or oblivious in certain aspects of my social personality. I do try to accept myself, but I don’t want to become too comfortable with simply being myself and alone, and not learn to operate in a social environment.

I have ever considered the idea that I might want to join the Singapore youth choir. Perhaps being in a performing arts group would give me some sense of fulfillment in life. I like music, and I like singing. I just wish that I can build friendships better in the social context that I am placed in, and not feel socially alienated all the time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Samuel! It has been an insightful experience looking at the lives of different people, notably yours and Enqi. I am glad to be able to use this platform to communicate and share our different life experiences and interests. I do like your blog. It is extensive as it has many 'tags' for the various topics of your posts. I am also happy to find a 'music' tag in your blog:) It is interesting and nice to know you like Chopin and Debussy pieces. As everyone is different, for me I like J.S. Bach and baroque music. (Remember the Minuet in G or the familiar Air in G string) It is good to know that you also play the piano and I am wondering if I can play some classical music with you. Well do relax sometimes; life can be enjoyable too.

Samuel Tee said...

Hey Keng Leong, we sure could do a duet for a classical piece some time. Do recommend a good piece that we perform together.

Search This Blog