Saturday, March 9, 2013

I Kissed Dating Goodbye 4

I continue with my reading from I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris. The caption of chapter 6 of the book reads “How to keep impatience from robbing you of the gift of singleness”.

At pg 77, Joshua writes, “Though it isn’t true of all relationships, dating relationships are often fueled by impatience, and we can directly relate many problems with dating to wrong time…But God wants us to learn the patience and trust necessary to wait for His perfect timing in all things, including our love lives.”

“Do you believe that God knows best? Then place your life’s calendar at His feet and allow Him to handle the scheduling of your relationships. Trust Him even if it means not dating when other people think you should. When God knows you’re ready for the responsibility of commitment, He’ll reveal the right person under the right circumstances.”

I find Joshua Harris words reassuring. I would like to marry a nice loving Christian girl someday but I am worried that I am predestined for a lifetime of singleness because of my aloofness and social ineptitude from Asperger’s Syndrome. I would like to believe that I can trust God, and be my laid-back self and find a relationship. I think some people would say that trusting in God should not be a bad excuse for passivity. I do try to place myself in social context where I am able to meet girls. But I do have my comfort limits of how far I can reach out socially, and I figure that I have my limitations. I have tried quite hard after being diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome to improve my social skills and I think I have improved a lot, but I still face social difficulties. I think I will have to rely on God’s help if I ever want to overcome my problems.

I want to be in a relationship, but I really don’t know how to be in one. I do find myself liking girls, but I don’t know what to do about it thereafter. I don’t exactly make friends with girls easily either, and I am not sure whether girls will date me if they knew I have Asperger’s Syndrome.

But I think Joshua Harris word’s about appreciating one’s singlehood a sensible advice. It is time to improve oneself before one gets into a relationship. And God might have the right person in the world for you whom you have not yet met or discover.

From what I observe at law school, it seems the majority of people are in relationships. I am certainly curious with about how my peers get into relationships, and what the experience is for them.

No comments:

Search This Blog