Monday, May 6, 2013

The difference between Intelligence and character



I was talking with a few law school friends over dinner today about people in law school who are particularly smart. Some of such people are the dean listers who top the cohort, or the academic book award winners who top the cohort for particular subjects. I suppose we can say that we are the type of students who are looking at these spectacular students from a distance and have yet to do well in things.

Back in SAJC, I did encounter such a particularly very smart individual who usually scores high A’s for the sciences and maths, obtained a number of gold awards in international mathematic competitions such as the Mathematics Olympiad, was quite accomplished in his co-curricular activities, including being a track and field athelete, and a house council member. Was very talented in many areas, ranked top few internationally in the rubik’s cubes competition where he could solve multiple 5 by 5 rubik cubes blindfolded. Yet, he comes off as a jerk to me. There was a time when I saw him manipulating a rubik’s cubes and I told him that that was some pretty cool stuff he got there. He rudely impersonated what I said in a mocking fashion. And there was a time when I was collecting money from him as a representative of General Paper class, and he made some profane and rude remarks when I tried collecting the money from him.

It puzzles me why someone who does so well in the academic field could display behavior which strikes me as insensible or immature. But I suppose if there is anything that I should wise up to, it is that there is a difference between someone’s intelligence and character, and it is faulty reasoning to presume that someone with intelligence would display maturity or sensibility in his character.

I would say that intelligence has its value, and it has its purpose when it comes to the workplace. It is good that people with their respective qualifications and competencies are matched up to their respective jobs which they can handle. However, when it comes to dealing with people, finding friends, or finding someone to love, I would prefer a person with an amiable character over a person of intelligence any time.

I watched Scary Movie 5 with a few friends. One of the most raunchiest and ribald of humor you could hope to find in a movie. I found out that the female lead Jody was played by Ashley Tisdale, the High School Musical Star who played the female rival of the protagonists in that film. She has certainly come a long way in Hollywood since her Disney days.

No comments:

Search This Blog