Sunday, May 19, 2013

Attending a relative’s wedding



I just attended a wedding of my cousin in Malaysia. There has been recently a spate of weddings from relatives from my maternal relatives. It’s like everyone is growing up and going through another passage in life, getting married and settling down. One of my female relative gave birth to a baby girl, whilst another is pregnant with a child.

I like attending the wedding and seeing a lot of my relatives and distant relatives at the occasion. I like to get together with my cousins, to talk to them, and get to know how they are doing in life. I got to know some interesting relatives whom I had not known before in the occasion. There is this guy whom I met who is studying dentistry, and another who is studying medicine at NUS. Amongst my immediate relatives, there are many people in the field of medicine or law. I do like the fact that I have an aunt who is a lawyer, and another aunt who is a law professor. It provides some inspiration for me to believe that I can do well in the field of law as well.

Attending a wedding also makes me ask the question about whether I will ever get married in life. For one, I have never been in a relationship before, which I believe is rather late considering that I am already 23 years of age. I guess I do suffer from some inferiority complex about whether there are any girls who like me. And I don’t like to take any overt action to express my liking for a girl or to initiate a relationship. When I attend a wedding and see many people there at the wedding, it does cause me to worry about the question whether there will be as many people attending my wedding if I should marry. I guess I don’t exactly think I am a very influential person in life who has much social contact or influence.

I suppose I am still trying to find the right girl in my life whom I can spend the rest of my life with. And I guess I will try looking around and attending functions and social events where I can get to know more girls. There is the Varsity Christian Fellowship at campus, and I try to attend as many functions as possible within my social comfort zone. I am thinking of other avenues by which I can get to know more Christian girls around my age. Perhaps I might go on a church hopping spree, or engage in online dating. But I hope to keep my cool about such things and let things happen naturally, if they indeed ought to happen that way. I do take a line of philosophy about how to approach life from the folk song Que Sera Sera. I suppose there are some things that are not within our control, and it is being realistic to acknowledge the presence of such things.

No comments:

Search This Blog