Tuesday, February 12, 2013

How I spent my Chinese New Year


I didn’t go to visit my relatives and my grandmother in Malaysia during this Chinese New Year. I had decided to stay at home with my mum so that I could try to catch up on my law studies. But I don’t think my studies were very productive. I felt like my eyes were simply breezing through the materials but mind was not absorbing or internalizing it.

I never like to allow work or studies to creep in on my lifestyle commitments, like my Christian activities, or my traditions like visiting my relatives during Chinese new year. I wish I were smarter and more efficient in my work and studies, so that I can do more in less time, and spent more time doing the things I like and spending it with the people I love.

Nevertheless, I spent the my Sunday afternoon touring Orchard with my mum. I didn’t expect that the shops would all be closed. I had wanted to visit Kinokuniya bookstore to browse through books. But Ngee Ann City, where Kinokuniya is situated, was closed. There were quite a lot of Filipinos at Orchard that day. I guess that they are the maids who had been given the day off and they had decided to spend it shopping at Orchard. But there wasn’t much for them to do when the shops are all closed as Chinese business operators go visiting during Chinese new year.

No comments:

Search This Blog