Friday, February 22, 2013

Considering taking a break from law school 2

I came to school this morning to consult about taking a leave of absence for this semester. A staff there at the Oei Tiong Ham office addressed me about my questions regarding taking leave of absence. Apparently, I have exceeded the two week instructional period by which I could take up leave of absence for the semester without having to pay the tuition fees for the semester. Nevertheless, I could still apply for leave of absence for this semester, and have my modules shifted to the second semester. I would however graduate half a year later than my peers.

I am hesitant about taking leave of absence now, as I think it would be more difficult for me to cope with the modules if I am placed in a batch where I am unacquainted with anybody. It would be difficult for me to obtain notes and useful materials from my peers, and I might have to study alone. Secondly, I might not be entitled to tuition grant for the additional semester and would have to pay the full tuition fee for the additional semester required for completing the requisite modular credits for graduation.

But on the flipside, there is the worry that I have that I have not been coping with law school precisely because of my headache which is affecting my abilities to study. And I don’t think things have been going well for me so far this semester. I have found myself struggling with the materials and with the tutorials. It could be that I am cognitively compromised, and that I should take a break to recuperate so that I could do well for the subjects next semester. Or it could be that I am genuinely inapt at law studies and the period of rest would not make much of a difference. Nevertheless, I think I could use the break period to explore other courses from other faculties to see whether they are suited to my liking and competency.

I would try to make my decision by next week, so that I can get the admin matters sorted out, and tell my Legal Case Studies group mates that they would have to make arrangements for my absence. I am not sure what would be the impetus for my decision. For one, if I am really finding it hard to complete my public law assignment and equity and trust assignment, perhaps I should cut my loss by quitting before being picked upon when class resumes after recess week ends, because the grades reflected in those assignments would not be voidable.

I am not sure whether I am still interested in a career in law. Nevertheless, when the time for application for training contracts come about, I would have to tender my academic transcript, which would reveal a gap for this semester’s grades should I choose to apply for leave. I am not sure how the training contract system works. Would I be severely disadvantaged if I apply it the following year instead of this year? For one, I do wish to do well in at least a few modules so that I can improve my chances at the job market, because my grades for the previous two semester has been lackluster. And I do wish I could do well for my equity and trust module and public law module. So if my grades aren’t reflected, that would certainly harm my chances. But it may not help if I do just as badly for this semester’s modules and this gets reflected into my transcript as well.

Perhaps it wouldn’t be too hard to get a job once I get a degree whatever my grades in law school might be. I could settle for a small position in a firm, earning relatively less than what my peers would be earning in a big four firm, handling simpler tasks. Or perhaps, results might not be of such matter at all, and I could try to explain it away at the interview about the predicament I faced at law school during this semester and the last two semester. I certainly hope that I might find a way to get a hang of law school and excel in it by this semester or the next semester, and do well in the evidence module, or in the electives. I just wish to be able to say something along the lines, “Well, those grades in the first two years are not reflective of my potential, because I didn’t quite got how law works, but now, I have gotten a hang of it, and if I were to retake those modules, I would have excelled in them.”

Or perhaps, I should just forget about a career in law, and do another degree or a masters in another course. I have ever thought that if I know how to go about it, I would want to start a business, or engage in entrepreneurship, and do well in it. It might be more profitable than what is earned in a law career.

I just wish I could do well in life.

No comments:

Search This Blog