Monday, January 21, 2013

Sunday Church Sermon : God just can't keep quiet (Isaiah 62 : 1-5)

Yesterday's church sermon by Rev Soh was about how God communicates his will for the salvation of all people through his prophetic ministry of the church here on earth. Pastor Soh says that there are some things so importantt that God cannot be quiet about. What is it that could stir the heart of God so much that he simply has to say? This is the warning of God's judgement against the sinful.

In the passage of Isaiah, the message is directed at Zion. But Pastor Soh prod the question, "Who is Zion? Who is Jerusalem?" It is  the people of God which is the church. We have been forgiven and restored Ours is a glorious salvation that god does not want to keep quiet about

How does God make this evident? He speak through his word and witnesses. He speak through you and I who are called into a prophetic ministry. The prophetic ministry- what does this mean? It means to speak forth the goodness of jesus christ to all the whole world, to tell them God's demands and love. We are called to make disciples of alll nations. God does not want us to keep quiet about what jesus christ has done for us.

The problem is that this is what we are most silent about. We are not willing to risk sharing our faith against unpredictable reaction or that we might have not the answers. Belief that we must keep our faith private. But as Pastor Soh qualifies, Christian faith is personal but not private. The gospel is a public gospel.

The seeker cell group leader at the law varsity christian fellowship would be holding another series of apologetics session for non-believing people, and he has asked members to invite their non-believing friends to attend the talk. I am not much of a people's person, so I don't really have much friends to invite. I also don't think many people would be interested in attending such a talk beyond their busy study schedule, or they are simply too cool to care about religion. I think that there is a certain negative stigma with appearing too religious in society. You might be deem a faith-head or a fanatic. And I fear that I would appear a freak if I extend invitation to non-believing friends or acquaitances. But I suppose I would do my best to do my part for the Great Commission. If I do make any mistakes in my approaches and appear like a weirdo, well, I think I will try to learn from it. But the more difficult thing to do for me is to know how to approach non-believing friends in a diplomatic manner.

I would like to reach out to people i know in law school. I think that christianity can have a solid foudation in society if the future elites of society come to know about it and accept it. I think that is the way christianity can effect its ideals in society. So on my part, a christian, I would need to be a fisher of man. And my field is law school.

No comments:

Search This Blog