Monday, January 21, 2013

Exploring online dating sites and social dating units


Just a few days ago, I was looking up the bible on biblegateway when I saw an online advert for a Christian online dating site. I have never considered using an online dating site before, but there was something about having a dating site for Christians which attracts me, and I thought I would should it a try. And so I signed up for an account, but there was unfortunately no other Singaporean users of the dating site.

It interested me to know how many users there would be on a mainstream online dating site that is used by Singaporeans. Two of the most popular website which turned up on my search list are lovestruck.com and match.com. I signed up for an account, selected the listed options describing certain details about myself, uploaded a narrative about myself, and a photo of myself. I could then filter the search options of girls by age, ethnicity, religion, and a whole host of other factors. The database would churn out a list of profiles of users matching the search criterias, and you could go through the list, clicking the portrait of those you are interested in to see more details, and exhibit interest by selecting a ‘wink’ option which would notify the other party of your interest.

I am not sure whether it is advisable for a Christian to use an online dating site. I am sure many of my guy friends at church would dissuade me from using this method. I suppose it pays to be a bit cautious about the people you meet through an online dating site. An online dating site remains a curiosity for me, but I think I will keep an open mind about using it to find a relationship. So far, I have received notifications from two girls displaying interest in me. The unfortunate thing is that I have to pay a subscription fee in order to send a message via the online dating site to the person.

I heard that there is something called the social dating unit for undergraduates in Singapore. From what I have seen from checking it out, it isn’t exactly an online dating site, but a group that organizes activities for undergraduates to participate in.

I remain somewhat intimidated of approaching the opposite sex in any manner with intent towards forming a relationship. And I have never quite felt well-acquainted with girls or with the idea of being in a relationship with one. But I can’t help the fact that I do find myself attracted to girls, and I don’t think I can profess an easy satisfaction with the idea of being single for life, as much as I often feel like an individualist.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Samuel,

I'm also a fellow lovestruck member, though I'm at the London end of things. Speaking from experience in Britain, it really is a great website; one of the safest I've come across. You'll surely find a nice lady to keep you happy, you can filter by religion too if that's your preference.

Good luck!

Samuel Tee said...

Hi Emma,

Good to hear from your pleasant experience with online dating sites. Thanks for the well-wishes as well. Hope you have found a nice guy to be happy with. All the best with your relationship!

Keith Wong said...

I could then filter the search options of girls by age, ethnicity, religion, and a whole host of other factors.

Singapore dating sites

Search This Blog