Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sunday Service - Lifehouse video, Peace be with you

At youth service today at church, a video was screened at the start of the service featuring this really dramatic musical skit. It starts off with a woman standing still, who is animated by being given the ‘breath of life’ by God as played by this Jesus look-a-like character. And the Jesus character was dancing with her and presenting to her the beauty of creation. But she was then seduced by this other man, a Cassanova type character, who pushed the Jesus character away and started tangoing with her. In the meanwhile, the Jesus character is seen at the sides trying to call out attention to the woman. Next, a character wielding cash in his hands comes along, baiting her with the money in his hands. And then a woman in sexy outfit comes along, dancing in front of her. Finally, a dark hooded character presented her with a knife, teaching her to cut herself, and then placing a gun in her hand to shoot herself in the head.  She finally came to her senses, repeatedly trying to get back to the Jesus character while she is violently pulled back by those other ‘bad’ characters.  Then comes the climax of the music, and the Jesus character steps into the fray, stretching out his arms to prevent those characters from touching the girl while taking the beating. And then the Jesus character overpowers all those bad characters and finally reunites with the girl.
 
I am quite a sucker for such emotional film. I can feel my eyes crack a tear. It is a powerful reminder of the things that one can get caught up in while living, and the negative influences that the world bring into one’s life. I am an advocate for Christian values in practical living, and I try to live by it. It can be hard sometimes because Singapore can be a very status-conscious and materialistic society. And the way people talk about such things can get to you and make you evaluate yourself based on such values as well. And there is the notion of coolness in order to gain social acceptance.
 
The pastor gave the sermon on John 20:19-31 where Jesus met his disciples after resurrection. The pastor was talking about how the disciples were feeling ashamed of themselves for abandoning their master, Jesus, when he was crucified at the cross and were afraid of meeting him. But Jesus allayed their fears with his words, “Peace be with you” to show that he did not hold any fault against them.
 
The pastor made one interesting point about how doubt may creep into our belief, and one factor being that of being absent from the community of believers. He hypothesized that this may be a reason for why Thomas doubted that Jesus resurrection, because he had not been with the other disciples. It is quite true that being in community helps one to quell doubts. I like participating in Christian-related functions and activities because being placed in a community of like-minded people reaffirms my faith. I find myself speaking in the language of social conservatism whenever I talk with my Christian friends. I wouldn’t necessarily call this faith building process a supernatural one. It could simply be a case of group mentality, and this applies too for atheists and agnostics who affirm one another with their disbelief.
 
The youth ministry leader asked me yesterday whether I would like to be a service leader for youth service. I thought I would give it some consideration, but I decided that I would decline such a role in the end. I don’t socialize well with the worship team, and I don’t see myself in that capacity of a spiritual leader to lead prayers for the worship team before the service. That is a role that I associate with someone more mature than me. But I would be comfortable leading discipleship group on Saturdays since my discipleship group leader is leaving ministry. I guess it would be an avenue to build up my sense of self-confidence.

No comments:

Search This Blog