Monday, November 18, 2013

On gifts and talents in life



Sometimes, when I meet up with a friend of mine, we would share about various people that we know and interesting things about them. These includes the likes of those friends we have on facebook who have a flair for art, music, or even cosplaying. I have always wondered though what gifts or talents I have in life. There is the usual rhetoric that is usually passed around in my Christian community that everybody is good at something. So I wonder what is my gift or talent in life.

For one, I really can’t draw for nuts. It has been this way since I was a kid. I remember having an arts teacher in primary school who wasn’t very pleased with me for constantly not handing in arts homework. And I was usually at a loss on what to draw or how to draw it, such that I would ask a more artistically-inclined classmate of mine to let me copy his artwork.

I think I might a little more aptitude where it comes to music. I sang in the choir when I was in junior college. I used to love singing back then, though I can’t say that my voice is of any particular outstanding quality. I joined the preliminary audition round for the Singapore Idol for season 3, which is not televised, and was promptly told that I was not selected soon after. Truth be told, I wonder why I even have the thought of wanting to join Singapore Idol considering that I am adverse towards being in the limelight, and would find it uncomfortable to be on national television where I can only suspect that past acquaintances of mine would be remarking under their breath, “that silly guy”, if they see me on Singapore Idol. I suppose I would be okay if I achieve publicity in the role of being some public intellectual or important figure in society, but I for myself, really don’t think I would sit too comfortably with the idea of being an entertainer or celebrity, which doesn’t fit the bill of what I would like to do in life. It seems like I can play the piano reasonably well, though at the moment, I can only play piano scores, and not by ear. I haven’t been playing the piano for a long time, but I think I might want to try getting back into the touching those piano keys again.

It is recently that I have become more interested in the question of how I can make a living in life, and earn enough to support a family and achieve a desired, satisfactory, lifestyle. I am hoping that I have what it takes to do law. I have also been thinking about whether there are other things that I can do in life for a living. At the moment, I really do like the idea of becoming a lawyer, and excelling in the field.

No comments:

Search This Blog