Saturday, November 2, 2013

All Saints Day 2013 - Visit to Mandai Columbarium

I visited the Mandai crematorium and columbarium today with my parents on this all saints day to pay respect to my departed paternal grandfather. I was not aware that there was this particular custom in Christian tradition until today. Wikipedia has an informative description of the custom, which is historically catholic, but has derived a protestant significance of honoring the dead based on an understanding of saints as referring to all Christians.

There are shelves of columbarium niches where they are situated, and by going around and looking at individual niche, you do encounter the columbarium of some famous people who occupied vocations of great stature while they were living. One such person is the Honourable Justice Lai Kew Chai, whose niche is situated just opposite to that of my grandfather, Tee Chuan Hock. One similarity that Justice Lai shares with my grandfather is that there originated in the same birthplace of Perak, Malaysia. I doubt they knew each other during their childhood, and each took their respective paths in life. My father joked that the two would have much to talk about given that they are now in the same place.

My grandfather didn’t make a name for himself during his earthly stint. He just led life in a rather unassuming manner, without any yearning or strife for earthly glories whatsoever. From what has been described to me by my father, my grandfather was someone who was not too fond of working, and delegated much of the responsibility for earning the household income to my grandmother. And in the jobs that he did, which were pretty much manual menial labor like being a rubber tapper, or selling fruits and juices on the streets, he had a poor stamina and took leave on many occasions. If there was anything that he would have enjoyed working in though, it would have been to be an entertainer. I heard from my Dad how my grandfather made his way by himself to a distant location in Malaysia to film in a little cameo role in the movie Anna and the King which starred Jodie Foster and Chow Yun-Fat, despite the meager stipend that the role brought. My grandfather was also the avid karaoke aficionado, and enjoyed the occasional bout of Chinese/Hokkien song session. Despite not having formal education past primary 3 due to family financial difficulties, he had a large appetite for knowledge of current affairs, and had the literacy that enabled him to read through the Chinese newspapers which he dutifully did so every afternoon. He was also a naturally sociable person, a contrast to my more introverted grandmother, and made friends easily with peers around the neighborhood.

Of qualities, my grandfather has a gentle, congenial disposition, and never once had I seen him kick up a fuss or throw a tantrum. My Dad says that he spoke Hokkien in the manner of a consummate gentlemen, that eschewed all the vulgarities and uncouthness that have come to be associated with the language from the way it is spoken by the underclass Chinese Singaporean population. He had a cool, easy charm to himself, and maintained a clear head under tenuous circumstances. According to my Dad, while they were still living in the village in Malaysia, there was an incident where two rival bidders for a contract feuded with each other, one accusing the other of cheating in the close-bid auction by bribing the auctioneer. My grandfather simply mediated the matter by asking both parties to disclose their bid price, which revealed that the contract went to the party that had bidded the higher sum. Common sense prevailed, and the feud was dissolved.

Of vices he had, there were notably two– gambling, and smoking. I think he manage to give gambling up, but he was a compulsive smoker till the end, which is probably the cause of his stroke and death at the age of 63 in 2001. He was scheduled for a heart-bypass surgery to be made a few week from that date, but the fatal stroke hit him a little too early. I suppose if there is any comfort, it is that he was baptized three days earlier at church.

With that, I end my account of a snapshot of the life of my grandfather. I wish all a meaningful all-saints day.

No comments:

Search This Blog