Monday, June 17, 2013

Sunday Service – Catholic Mass about the keeping of protective artifacts



I went to a Catholic church for its mass service yesterday on Sunday. There were quite a lot of Filipinos at the service. They were going there in families, both men and women, with their children. I don’t see that many of them in other aspects of societal life in Singapore. I suppose the catholic mass is a rally for catholic-believing Fillipinos to gather.

There was an interesting room at an area in the church with the label ‘adoration room’ on the entrance door. In that room, there is a rather strange looking golden artifact encased in a glass panel and buried into the wall at the front of the room. There are two pews at the back of the room. I suppose Catholics may go to that room to pray. I am wondering what that artifact holds in significance for the Catholics.

The sermon given by the Catholic priest for the mass was an exhortation to the congregants to discard artifacts of other religions (especially those Taoist kinds) like amulets and good-luck charms. He was talking about how he was advising a congregant who keep such stuff to discard these things which he warns are artifacts with evil supernatural sources. However, the man was hesitant of throwing away these artifacts because he was afraid that he might not be protected against evil supernatural forces without them. The priest said he chided the man, telling him that his true protection comes from the Christian God. I was slightly amused when the priest said that in place of those amulets and charms, the man should keep Catholic artifacts like the rosary, picture of the saints, the crucifix etc. I am not sure whether that is any less superstitious with what the man began with.

This is probably the most charismatic sounding message that I have come across in a Catholic mass, with all these reference to the protective powers of various artifacts against supernatural evil forces. I have visited other Catholic Mass before, but the message was more mundane and simple, about things like how to live one’s life in a Christian like manner.  I suppose I can understand why the layman who the priest was talking about was hesitant on throwing away his Taoist artifacts. He probably believes that they had been effective in staving off evil spirits in his life, and he is unsure about whether Catholic artifacts would have similar efficacy. I am wondering though whether Christian doctrine supports this notion of carrying around Christian artifacts for protection against evil spirits. It’s not something that I hear in my own church, which is traditional Lutheran. At least from what I remember from a previous sermon by my church pastor, he advocates Christian artifacts, such as Christian entrance wall signs, to serve as a marker of identity for one’s Christian’s faith to visitors, and as reminders for one’s own Christian identity. I think the sermon message was regarding the Deuteronomy 6:8 verse which features the advice to have symbols of reminders in one’s Christian life.

It reminds me of a joke though that I once read about. In that joke, one guy was asking the other why he kept some weird amulet with him. The other guy replied that it helped keep the wild elephants away. The first guy remarked that he didn’t see any wild elephants around, to which the other guy quite smartingly replied that it shows that the amulet works. The point of that joke is that one cannot just prove causation from correlation. The fact that no wild elephants were around does not necessarily mean that the amulet was effective. It could simply be the case that there were no wild elephants to begin with. And I am sure that a skeptic, or an atheist, would remark the same about amulets or Christian artifacts in protecting against evil spirits. They don’t believe evil spirits exist in the first place.

I am also reminded of a scene I once came across when I watched the movie The Mummy starring Brendan Fraser. In that movie, there was this minor character who came face to face with the resurrected Mummy. As the Mummy was approaching him in a threatening manner, that character was comically taking out his religious artifacts one by one in his desperate bid to find the right one that would work against the Mummy. I don’t think the Christian cross worked on the Mummy!

I suppose I don’t rule out the existence of supernatural beings, even though I may have doubts about them. And since I have chosen to believe in the Christian God, I think it is subsidiary to this belief that I must believe that evil supernatural beings exists as well. But I am apprehensive of becoming superstitious about such things, to the extent of attributing almost everything to supernatural forces.

2 comments:

D.Lee said...

I don't think there is any inconsistency with the Catholic priest's call to replace those amulets with Catholic ones. He was not exhorting against "superstition" in the first place, based on your account. Rather, his position is based on the spiritual ties linked with the items.

If one grants the existence of spirits such as angels or demons, the entire worldview will make sense to you. I sense this is the real crux of your doubt.

Now as you have said, "since I have chosen to believe in the Christian God, I think it is subsidiary to this belief that I must believe that evil supernatural beings exists as well." You are right. This logically follows.

Your reservation comes from being "apprehensive of becoming superstitious about such things, to the extent of attributing almost everything to supernatural forces." Now I honestly think there are very few people who actually attribute almost everything to supernatural forces in a very direct sense of the word.

On the other hand, central to the belief in a sovereign God is also the belief that everything happens either because (1) God intends it or (2) God allows it. There is no other option. On this view, everything could plausibly be attributed to God in one of these two ways.

Samuel Tee said...

My doubt is whether there is any protective effects from artifacts, whether they be Christian or non Christian ones, to begin with. Does the man the priest talk to actually need to bound his house up with all these Catholic artifacts in order to receive protection from spiritual forces? I would think not.

Talking about being wary of superstition, don't you think that some Christians actually become superstitious in the way they approach life? Like over-relying on divine signs before making decisions, and some of these decisions made can be irrational, such as not seeing a doctor for treatment because of a belief in faith-healing. I just think that it may be hard to draw the line between superstition and affirming supernaturalism. But it is to one's detrimental to approach life in a superstitious manner.

Search This Blog