Sunday, June 16, 2013

Desperate Housewives Pilot Episode – The inner world of women

I watched the pilot episode of Desperate Housewives. I haven’t watched the show before as I didn’t think that I would find the show interesting. I thought, what could be so interesting about the affairs of housewives? I had a glimpse of the show once when it appeared on television back when Desperate Housewives was a popular sitcom on television, and I was quite repulsed about what I saw in that episode, which was nearing its end. It showed a man who chose to leave his mother for a woman, and him telling his mother that he never intends to come back to visit his mother again, before he left the mother’s house to be in a romantic relationship with the woman. And the female narrator of the show was trying to portray the man’s action in a positive light of being courageous to choose his wife (or girlfriend?) over his mother, because the mother had supposedly been a very bad person who deserved such treatment from her son. I suspect that the show had been following the theme of the archetypal difficult mother-in-law before that such that the audience who have been following the show would have come in support of the son’s decision. But from a passing-by viewer like me, the son’s action seemed rather reprehensible. And I had qualms about whether the show was one of those so-called western shows promulgating loose liberal moral values that my Church community warns about.

Recently though, I have encountered some references to the show on blogs that I read. The authors of those blogs are Christian, and they do acknowledge the elements of liberal values that are portrayed in the show. But they also talk about the educational aspect of the show, and about the value of the show in portraying the intricacies of human psychologies and relationships. I actually enjoyed watching the pilot episode of Desperate Housewives. The characters, with their antics, and housewife schemes and politics, was an interesting watch. And I think it gives me a better picture of the concerns that affects women and the perspectives they hold on various affairs in their daily lives, although it would be good if I confer with female friends to hear their opinions regarding the portrayal of women in the show. From what I gather from the show, women have a lot more inner subtle thoughts in their dealing with people and issues than men, and they tend to take a more passive aggressive approach in dealing with relationships and problems rather than openly voicing out their sentiments and seeking a direct resolution.

For example, there is this character named Susan, played by Teri Hatcher, who is a divorced mother looking for love. She encountered this guy who works as a plumber at a funeral, and became interested in him. There is this other divorced woman in the neighbourhood who was competing with her. She is portrayed as the “predator of eligible bachelors” in the show, and has seduced pretty much all the men she previously encountered, including a church minister! Susan went over to the guy’s house one day, only to see that the other woman had got there first. In a presumptuous bid to get the man to come over to her place, she made the excuse that she had a clog in her pipes in her house (with whatever innuendo that may have been), and that she thought the guy could help her out since he was a plumber. The guy agreed, and told her he would be over in a while, which got her panicking because she had made those remarks in haste, and there was no actual plumbing problems. She immediately ran back to her house, and with her daughter from her previous marriage, began frenetically stuffing down things into the kitchen sink to clog it up.

Then there is this other character named Lynette, a former business woman turned stay-at-home mum of three children. She felt embarrassed when she encountered a former colleague at a supermarket. When the colleague asked her how she finds being a stay-at-home mother, she masked her true sentiments with a big smile on her face and her response that “it is the best job I ever had”.

Another of the desperate housewives is Bree. Her husband had revealed that he wanted to divorce her. While emotionally distraught, she stuck to her stoic demeanor to avoid betraying her emotions. She tried to kill her husband by adding onions to her husband’s salad dish, knowing that he is allergic to it.

The final character of the desperate housewives clique is Gabrielle, played by Eva Longoria, an ex-model whose unhappy marriage has had her beginning an affair with her 17-year-old gardener. Her husband wanted to fire the gardener because the lawn outside the house had not been mowed and he felt that the gardener had been lazy in not finishing his task of mowing the lawn. The real reason is that the gardener had been busy making love with his wife, Gabrielle every time he is at the house (which ought to get him fired as well!). Gabrielle saved the gardener from getting fired by telling her husband that he was having a wrong assessment of the height of the lawn as it was evening and that he could not see well as a result. When they were at a party where her husband was to make a business deal, she bribed the person serving alcohol, telling him to ensure her husband had a drink in hand throughout the entire evening. While her husband was distracted with the business dealing and inebriated by the booze, she went all the way back home to get out the lawn mower and mow the lawn herself, before going back to the party. The next morning, when her husband got up and went out of the house, and found the lawn perfectly mown, he appeared bemused, but went along his way to work probably in the belief that he had it wrong about the gardener. Gabrielle is shown looking atop from the balcony as her husband leaves for work with a repose demeanor to her, probably feeling satisfied at having managed and kept the crisis under tabs.

I like watching sitcom dramas like this because it gives me a way to understand how people view things and allow me to have an insider picture to the reasons why people behave in particular manners. I am not always able to understand people’s actions or infer the rationale behind their actions from observation alone. And I don’t want to be either too presumptuous or prejudicial with my inferences. But I fear being oblivious to people’s intentions as well, especially if they are bad ones, and to fall into their traps, or to treat people as friends when they may not share the same sentiment about me. What I like about Desperate Housewives is that it shows and explains the underlying rationale for why these women act the way they do, which may otherwise appear befuddling to an outside observer. I do notice some behaviors from girls in my life that puzzles me, and which causes me to speculate to no ends about why they behave in such manners. And I have encountered girls who use passive aggressive tactics against me. I hope I am intelligent enough to decipher their actions. For example, there was this girl whom I worked with for a company law group assignment who erased substantial portions of my part in a group assignment in order to meet the word count before submitting it to the professor for marking, much to my detriment, and she continues putting on a cordial expression when interacting with me, as if everything is amicable. I suppose I am very much averse towards confrontation, and it doesn’t help that I am sometimes less eloquent than these people in law school. But I think that I could help myself better by calling out their unethical actions and bringing a complaint against them to relevant authorities. One thing I have also learnt is that I could very much benefit by consulting female friends to seek advice about dealing with female people. I suppose it takes one to know one, and I mean that in a good way. I suppose I could do better with more close female friends whom I can consult. But there are some things in life where I suspect that like one of those guy characters in the Desperate Housewife show, I will be oblivious to some of the ways and schemes of a woman.

No comments:

Search This Blog