Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A rumination about the nature of my religious faith

I have been thinking about my religious faith these days, and trying to best define what it’s exact nature is. I wonder whether the nature of my faith can be easily summarized in a categorical statement. I like to think of myself as a Christian, despite having doubts as to whether God exists, and whether Christianity is true or not. The biggest motivation for me is that I am not sure how an atheist find a basis to appraise moral values. Whether morality can find objective meaning without religion or God is a point of debate amongst academics, and I don’t profess to be able to definitively determine who is right on the matter. But let me elaborate from my laymen point of view. I do realize that there are really depraved and inhumane acts that take place in the world. One has only got to search the internet to know about such things. It utterly shocks me the extent of depravity that humans can descend to. It is unbounded only by the extent of human imagination. Now, some moral philosophers would seek to develop a comprehensive moral philosophy system to be able to determine morality without appeal to a standard provided by religion, such as utilitarianism. But there are things that I feel are not effectively dealt with using such paradigms of understanding morality. Some things just do not conform to the utilitarian mould in order to be considered “unwholesome”.

Perhaps then, the primary reason for my attraction towards the Christian religion is its ability to stipulate values that I believe are good and wholesome. I am not sure though how I first began to develop these sentiments of which values are good and wholesome, but I suspect that being brought up culturally in a Christian conservative environment might have instilled this state of mind in me. But I do realize from my past experiences that values varies from individual to individual and can change over time.

Now, I do know of Christians who would think that such a conception of the faith as being flawed. Some statements that I know that are passed around evangelical Christian circles are that Christianity is more than simply just morality, it is, primarily, about God. To think about Christianity according its morality reduces it to a functional tool, as much as some people embrace Christianity for its social functional value in that they wish to connect to a social community. There is a branch of practice known as Christian science which simply affirms Christian morality without subscribing to theological beliefs about the existence of God. I don’t think any church endorsing such beliefs exist in Singapore, but I think Christians here in Singapore should be aware of how diverse the practice of Christianity can be in other parts of the world, some that do not adhere to the conventional fundamentals firmly regarded in churches over here.

I have been thinking though to what extent should Christian morality or beliefs be adhered to. Is the morality prescribed in the bible comprehensive, or incontrovertible? As much as I like Christianity for its provision of a standard of morality to which I can find objectivity with. For example, I am not exactly too impressed with the Christian conception of hell, or of some forms of blasphemy being unforgivable.

There are a few things though which I find difficult about Christianity. They are, the apparent absence of God, and the presence of evil and suffering. Moreover, it seems like my prayers for specific things rarely gets answered. I just can’t connect the dots as to why God would want to make his existence so concealed to those who believe in him. Honestly, I don’t have much confidence in God to grant me the things that I ask him for, or to protect me against unfortunate circumstances with guarantee. Bad things happen to all people, good or bad, prayers or no prayers.

So what exactly can I call myself if I am not sure in the existence of God or the truth of Christianity, but am predilectably predisposed towards a belief, and towards subscription of Christain morality and values, whilst at the same time somewhat unsure about how rigid an adherence to the stipulated morality and values must be, but not so unfundamentalist as to discard stipulations that do not appeal to me. In addition, I am someone who places more confidence in the operation of naturalistic process in reality than in supernatural intervention, and therefore don’t place too much faith in the fulfillment of specific requests in personal prayers or ministry, but at the same time, not someone who denies that God is somehow working concealedly behind these naturalistic instruments. Also, I don’t believe that Christianity results in the perfection of human beings, or the correction of the flaws of an individual. And I don’t think that those who practice or minister Christianity are infallible. And I am open to being skeptical about conventional conservative Christianity, while am at the moment predisposed towards seeing the values espoused as positive in nature.

No comments:

Search This Blog