Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Law school thus far

It’s been a little more than a month since the start of this law school semester. Can’t say that I am pretty pleased with how things have been going so far. It feels like I am headed for another waterloo at the exams. I wished I had extended my leave of absence for this semester instead of resuming studies. I believe that I had been suffering from some form of anxiety or panic disorder, which was particularly acute during the past two semesters. The leave of absence was a much needed break to allow myself to gain back composure, but I could certainly do with more time for recovery. I still experience the strange pressure sensation in the head feeling. It is substantially milder than it was when I first had it a year ago. I believe that I was coming down with what seems like the onset of a panic attack when I was in an intellectual property seminar a week ago. It was exacerbated by the fact that the professor was randomly pointing out students to answer her questions in class, and I was fearful of being called out because I am quite lost in class. I had to excuse myself from the lesson to go calm myself down.
 
I don’t feel my mind is working quite right. It is not in its normal cognitive capabilities. I am finding materials which I didn’t find difficult to understand in the past difficult. I would have thought that the Ocean Law and Policy module under Beckman would be easy for me considering that I did well in his class during my first year, but even that seems difficult for me to grasp. I am guessing that I might still be experiencing the mind-numbing effects of the acute panic attacks I had last year. I think I am recovering alright, but I would need more time to regain normal capacity.
 
I wonder if I should be taking any drugs that would help my condition. I have scheduled an appointment with the campus psychiatrist. But I am quite apprehensive of resorting to psychiatric medication because of all the possible negative side effects that I have been reading online so far.
 
I wished I could write more the stuff that are taught in law school on my blog. I haven’t come across blogs by fellow law school students who keep blogs and write stuff they learn from law school. But I think that people from the general population would be interested to read about such stuff, and I am privileged to be in law school. I like the idea of writing interesting posts about law on my blog and people reading them, but for now, it seems I am quite unable to do that.

No comments:

Search This Blog